Last week I made this for my mum’s birthday, it’s a super easy Gluten Free ice cream cake, using Bulla Ice Cream, (gluten free) Nestle Chocolate Melts and home made Gluten Free Honeycomb. It’s a cinch to make and looks fabulous. I love the crunch in the ice cream, delish! Plus there’s an easy tutorial to make this super cute washi tape garland in this post.
I made this with gluten free honeycomb, but you could also use violet crumble bars if you don’t need a gluten free cake. Here’s the recipe…
Gluten Free Honeycomb Ice Cream Cake
1 litre Bulla Chocolate Ice cream
1 litre Bulla Vanilla Ice cream (I used a chocolate/vanilla combo 4 L tub, enough to make 2 cakes)
1 serve of Gluten Free Honeycomb recipe here chopped (or 3 x 50g Violet crumble bars NB: these are not gluten free)
I50g Nestle Dark Chocolate Melts (chopped)
1. Take ice cream out of the freezer and allow to soften while lining the loaf tin.
2. Line a loaf tin, with a double thickness of cling wrap, allowing an overhang on all sides to fold over the top of the ice cream later. Spray with cooking oil spray.
3. Spoon chocolate ice cream into the loaf pan (about a 1/4 height of the tin), smooth with the back of a spoon, add a layer of chopped Nestle Dark Chocolate Melts and Gluten free Honeycomb.
3. Then add vanilla ice cream (to about 3/4 of the top of the tin) and smooth with a spoon again, add another layer of chopped choc melts and Gluten Free Honeycomb.
4. Add last layer of chocolate ice cream, smooth with the back of a spoon and fold over the cling wrap. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
5. Pull the ice cream out of the loaf tin, using the cling wrap as handles. Turn onto plate. Scatter with chopped Gluten Free honeycomb over the top and sides.
Serve and enjoy.
You could also make a quick and easy Washi Tape garland, to give the cake some extra wow factor, when you are having a special birthday.
….or try my Tissue Paper Tassel Garland Tutorial here
It’s simple to do, grab some string, washi tape, and scissors…
DIY Washi Tape Garland
You will need:
Cut the washi tape into equal lengths, then lay in the centre of the string, then simply fold in half. (Dont worry to much if you don’t fold perfectly to the ends, you can clean this up with the scissors, when you cut the small “v” at the ends to finish off. Continue adding mini flags to make the length you require. Great for a party backdrop, or to decorate over a special print in your home, office or childs room.
We had a fabulous birthday party, all the gang were there and the kids had a ball! I loved making this cake for mum, we saved an extra bit for her for later too, first time she has had honeycomb in years! You could also add in other things like chocolate and chopped cherries as an option.
I think it takes a while sometimes….
until you become a mum yourself,
a mum’s infinite love.
What marvellous teachers we all have.
Making a gluten free ice cream cake for your mum,
is nothing really,
merely a spec…
in the scheme of infinite love! (but it did taste yum!)
Live with Love,
Care to stay in the loop? I’d love to have you!
Subscribe to my posts… scroll to the right and enter your email in the Subscribe Box
OR leave a comment below
NB: This post is not sponsored by Bulla or Nestle, just passing on the gluten free ingredients I used in this cake.
Hi I'm Sarah, I'm a blogger and an artist who’s made the sea change and moved to the north coast of Australia. I love an easy DIY and making my house my canvas, my new home has become my greatest project: Yamba Scandi. Come visit me in my shop to view my collection of prints, canvasses, home decor and paper goods READ MORE.
Yamba Scandi Collection // Black and white prints and canvasses // Home decor //Paper goods